Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tortellini Pasta Salad --- The Way to a Son's Heart

Every year, for at least the last twenty years, my middle son has one and only one request for his birthday -- "Mom, you are going to make me tortellini pasta salad again this year aren't you?" And my answer is always yes -- even when we have been separated by thousands of kilometers! Thank goodness for couriers! So this year was no different -- I pulled out my recipe that I know by heart and made up a batch of this very tasty pasta salad. The result was a huge smile on my son's face, a big hug and a chorus of "you're the best mom ever". I think you can see why I keep making this pasta salad year after year!

The recipe for Tortellini with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Salad is from an older cookbook I have -- Nantucket Open-House Cookbook by Sarah Leah Chase, and I have reproduced it below.

The only change I make is that I only use 1 cup of olive oil in the pesto not 1-1/2 cups (I found it a bit too oily otherwise and not necessary) -- and because my son LOVES pepperoni, I probably slice up 3 sticks of pepperoni in the salad itself instead of the 1 stick it calls for.

The other note I'd make is that pepperoni comes in various sizes -- but I try and look for the slender, firm, air-dried type versus the mass produced  pizza type more often found in a grocery store. Both work -- but I like the slightly sweet, tangy flavour that comes with the thinner, usually hand made, pepperoni. I also go on the basis that 1/2 stick of pepperoni = 1/4 pound as is called for in the recipe.

This pasta salad can generously serve 10 people ... or one 6 foot 3 inch son!

Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
1/2 stick pepperoni (about 1/4 pound), cut into small dice
3 tab. Dijon mustard
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tab. fennel seeds
1 jar (7 ounces) sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
1 cup olive oil
2 tab fresh lemon juice
Sale and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Prepare the pesto: Place the peperoni, mustard, garlic, fennel seeds, and sun-dried tomatoes with oil in a food processor fitted with the steel blade; process until smooth. With the machine running pour the olive oil in a thin, steady stream through the feed tube and continue processing until the mixture is smooth. Season with lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.

Salad
2 pounds cheese or meat filled tortellini, cooked and drained
2 ripe medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 yellow bell pepper seeded and diced
1 stick pepperoni thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tab chopped fresh basil

2. Combine the tortellini, tomatoes, yellow pepper and pepperoni in a large mixing bowl. Add the pesto and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the parsley and basil. Serve warm or at room temperature.



1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    We've recently launched the site Everyrecipe.co.nz where users search through recipes from all the major New Zealand recipe sites and blogs.

    We noticed that you have a tasty recipe on your blog and would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.everyrecipe.co.nz/top-food-blogs.

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on Everyrecipe.co.nz all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.everyrecipe.co.nz/add-your-food-blog.

    Our project is one of the biggest in all the world, and it’s already live in 37 countries, the US, Mexico, UK, France and Australia amongst others. We deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive at least 10,000 visitors from us on a weekly basis.

    Service is totally Free. No money involved

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    You can also find us on:
    Facebook :: Twitter

    If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at

    info@everyrecipe.co.nz

    Warm regards,

    ReplyDelete